Monday Night Wine Club

This blog is a record of our monthly meetings.


Friday 6 May 2011

Leone de Castris Reserva Salice Salentino 2006

TUESDAY MAY 3rd 2011 (Pt. 1 of 7)

In Attendance
L.S., N.A., T.B., A.V., A.D.M., and two p's M.S., and K.A.

No Regrets

Minutes
A.D.M.

L.S. calls the meeting to session at 8.29 pm noting for the record that there are two p's in attendance this evening. L.S. thanks A.V. and A.D.M. for hosting. L.S. notes that she is very impressed to find the first wine already decanting and ready for the group. A.V. states for the record that it is no problem as she drank 3 vodka/water/lemons shortly before the group arrived.

The theme tonight is Italian.

The group has contributed to another wonderful spread of treats including:

Huge chunks of Piave, Pecorino & Taleggio (courtesy of resident cheese connaisseur N.A.)
A sweet Easter bread
A rock-hard Danish bread
A fresh baguette with one chunk missing (N.A.'s sugar dropped on the way over)
Fresh strawberry and ginger scones
A.D.M.'s Nonna's homemade tomato sauce
T.B.'s special, homemade apricot & red pepper preserve
Blue corn chips & sweet potato chips
Salsa & garlic humus
Hot pepper, white carrots, fennel
Almond sugar cookies
Lindt chocolates from the Mississauga outlet mall

Despite the best efforts of L.S., the group cannot be brought to order and L.S. states that she "agrees to disagree" with the group as she cannot seem to take the floor to begin. She requests "head on" photos only if photos are taken during the course of the night. A.V. slaps A.D.M. on the leg and requests to note  for the record that she is "sitting like an adult".

Album: 'Saturdays = Youth' by M83 (iTunes)

Leone de Castris Reserva Salice Salentino 2006
Pulia, Italy.

L.S. reads the tasting notes.
L.S. "This blend of Negroamaro and Malvasia Nera goes exceptionally well with all hard cheeses"
Unknown "That's what she said!"

Nose & Bouquet
"Cocoa" "Cherry" "Bold" "Rough"

Taste & Structure
"Vinegar" "Definitely not corked" "Light"

Finish
"What does that describe again?" "Red"

T.B. "This is not tannin-y at all!"
L.S. "Uh oh. Words coming out"
N.A. "It's all coming back to me now"
L.S. "I like this one because it's light"
A.V. "I like this one because it's not"
A.D.M. "Antonio Galloni gave this a 90"
T.B. "Remember, Smell - Swirl - Smell - Sip"
A.V. "I'm already drunk"
Unknown "Maybe it's those 3 vodkas"

L.S. continues to google for new tasting notes online.

L.S. "It comes up on this blog - the vintner  replied!"
K.A. "With what?"
L.S. "A happy face. The one with the 'nose'"
K.A. "Euro happy face" (Note to reader: ;^) )
Unknown "I can't stand the Euro happy face" "Hate the nose" "What about brackets over the face?" (Note to reader: (:-() )
L.S. "The bracket thing is not a face"
K.A. "Yes it is"
L.S. "The bracket should come second, if there are brackets first, it's wrong, it's not a face it's a mess"
K.A. "It's supposed to be a face. Very strange Euros do it" "
Unknown "I hate the open 'D' face" (Note to reader: :-D ) "Very Happy Face?" "I hate it" "Haven't you ever been that happy?" "Never. Never that happy"
L.S. "I've been that happy"
K.A. "What about straight face. Straight line mouth with eyebrows" (Note to reader: :-| )

K.A. holds his face very still and stares at A.V.

A.V. "What are you doing?"
K.A. "The straight face, straight eyebrows - it's a colon and a line"
A.D.M. "I hate the 'oh-zero' face - drunk eyes" (Note to reader: o_0 )
Unknown "I HATE that!"
N.A. "I didn't know what it was, it's a face?"
K.A. "Of course it is"
Someone to K.A. "It's weird you know this so well"
K.A. "I'm a professional"
L.S. "I think it's Chinese"
A.V. "That's racist"
L.S. "It looks like a bat. For the record it looks like a bat and I think we should move on"

N.A. "This wine is very good with the cheese"
A.V. "Which one?"
N.A. "All of them. Write that down"
L.S. "This one was aged in stainless steal casks"
T.B. "I knew it! I knew it!"
A.V. "Would you have known if she didn't tell you?"
T.B. "Yes"
A.V. "Are you sure?"
T.B. "Yes"
A.V. "I don't think you're sure"

Background: "What's D.O.C.?" "Like V.Q.A." "What's V.Q.A." "Negroamaro means 'bitter black'" "That's racist"

L.S. "It's from Puglia. Wait, Joseph Puglia...Joseph Puglia...how do I know that name?
M.S. "I'm not getting intense flavours. It says 'intense flavours'. I'm not getting that"
L.S. "I must know a Joseph Puglia. (to A.D.M.) Do you know a Joseph Puglia?"
A.D.M. "It's Puglia - POO-LEE-A - not POOG-LEE-A" (L.S. googles)
L.S. "SEINFELD!! The Junior Mints"
N.A. "We should keep going"
L.S. "She had it autographed for her uncle, Joseph Puglia"

Chaos.

L.S. "Sundried tomatoes, it says"
T.B. "TOMATOES!!"
L.S. "Sundried tomatoes"
T.B. "Tomatoes"
L.S. "You didn't get it"
N.A. "I need more wine"

A.D.M. (aside to A.V.) "This is chaos this time. I'm not getting anything"
A.V. "You're not learning?"
A.D.M. "No, I mean I can't keep writing like this, we need structure, we - " (Note cuts off)
A.V. "There was no cocoa mentioned!"

N.A. "I've been waiting all day for this so I need more wine - I wasn't invited to the vodka party earlier"
A.V. "That was a party for (she holds up one single index finger)"
N.A. "Should we bring vodka next time? I'll bring vodka to the birthday Saturday"
L.S. "Aly can you?"
A.V. "I'm already making the pinata"
L.S. "Don't put that into the notes, it's a surprise"
N.A. "Who's baking the cake?"
A.V. "I can bake cake into the pinata"
L.S. "Don't put that in the notes!"
M.S. "What animal will the pinata be?"
A.V. "A balloon"
L.S. "Don't do if you don't...wait, what is that phrase?"
M.S. "Which?"
L.S. "About teaching"
A.V. "Wait is anyone here in education?"
Unknown "I sure hope not"
M.S. "They teach gym"
A.V. "Anyone's mother?"
Unknown "Your mom"
L.S. "No, that's the parody of the, what's it called?"

It is unclear how many out of 7 like this wine.
1/7 liked this wine for sure.
Please comment below if you like this wine.

4 comments: